Happy New Year!
Sorry for the delay in posts, but this month was Krazy, yes with a K! Besides December being a busy month it was also the last trimester of my pregnancy, and with 3 other kids on school holidays our house was chaos…and is still chaotic.
I managed to squeeze in some baking…if you go to my Facebook page it is updated regularly (unlike my blog!)
Happy to announce that I did have a beautiful baby boy on the 19th December! A gorgeous Christmas Baby 🙂 so far he has been so chilled out I have to wake him for feeds!! My other concern was that my nesting instinct with baking and cooking would stop after the birth, however I’m pleased to announce it hasn’t!!! I may have slowed down a bit with all the adjustments to a bigger family, but the urge and passion to keep baking and cooking is still there! Woohoo!!! Looking forward to a great 2014 with new and exciting food posts 🙂 I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful New Year!
Xx Ms Fat BootyBakes
Chocolate and Strawberry New Years Eve Tart
Adapted from Eric Lanard Baking Mad
175grams plain flour
50grams raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
50grams Icing Sugar
150grams of unsalted room temperature butter
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Sift flour and cocoa powder together
2. Add icing sugar and stir all dry ingredients together
3. Add unsalted butter to dry ingredients and mix with your fingertips till you get a bread crumb like texture!!
4. Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks, with a clean hand use 2 fingers and start swirling and mixing the egg yolks into the flour. Once it starts to combine add 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
The dough should come together and look lovely and dark. Wrap dough in cling wrap and leave it for at least an 30min in the fridge
Once the dough has been rested take out of the fridge to bake blind.
Roll dough to 2-3mm thick and place into a 22cm tart tin. Make sure all edges are pushed in and neatly trim off the excess. With a fork gently prick the dough
Cover with baking paper and add baking beans to top of tart tin
This can now go in the oven for 20 minutes
Once tart has come out and is cooling start on the chocolate ganache
200ml Single Cream
200grams dark chocolate
2tsp vanilla extract
75grams soft unsalted butter
1. On a stove top medium heat, heat the cream
2. Melt 200g of dark chocolate in a microwave or in a glass bowl over a simmering pan of water (make sure the water does not touch the bowl whilst melting )
3. Once the chocolate is melted, smooth and glossy add the cream
4. Mix until smooth and add 2 tsp of vanilla extract
3. The ganache should be warm by now, so a good time to add the butter and mix it all in for a smooth ganache
Leave it to cool, and by now the pastry shell should be cooled.
Add 350g chopped strawberries to the tart shell. Pour the ganache over it and place in the fridge for approximate half an hour or until ganache is set.
With the excess strawberries trim them and add decoration to the top
And et voila your new year dessert is ready! Add sparklers for a true decadent dessert!!
Xx Ms Fat Booty Bakes
Had to squeeze in a pic of baby!!!