You probably know from now, I go through baked good phases. Sometimes I’m inspired by other bloggers, however most of the time it’s what I’m craving (6months pregnant!). Currently it’s Donuts, and I’ve been intrigued with the baked version. So off I went to my local kitchen supplier for a donut pan. All this time I’ve been thinking about glazes and icings…chocolate or caramel?? So many options to choose from, but I finally settled on a simple spiced vanilla flavoured dough with a rum chocolate glaze. The best thing about the baked version is the easy clean up afterwards – no hot oil to sort out, just out of the oven – bake and glaze!
I am a convert now to the baked donut and in a few future posts will upload some of my experimentations 🙂
Spiced Vanilla Baked Donut
Adapted from http://www.thefauxmartha.com/2013/05/29/sponsored-video-vanilla-bean-baked-donuts/
Fits a 6 pan donut tin
1/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vinegar
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg, fresh if possible or ground
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp cloves
1tsp of cardamom
2 tbsp. honey
1 large egg
1tsp vanilla paste
Preheat oven to 400F/200 degrees.
1. Mix together milk and vinegar and let it sit for about 5 minutes to curdle.
2. Melt butter in a small bowl and set aside to cool.
3. Whisk together dry ingredients – flours, baking powder, sea salt, and spices in a large bowl. Set aside.
4. Into the cooled butter, whisk in sugar, honey, egg, and vanilla bean seeds until evenly combined. Add in curdled milk. For easy removal of honey I spray my spoon with a little oil.
5. Whisk together wet and dry ingredients until combined, don’t over mix as it will result in a harder donut.
6. Spray donut pan. Add batter to a piping bag and pipe evenly into the pan.
Bake for 7 minutes. Allow to cool 1 minute before turning pan over to remove donuts onto a cooling rack.
Choc Rum Glaze
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifte
1tbsp Dark Rum *optional* or rum essence
Combine butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla in medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate, and whisk until melted then add the tablespoon of rum. Turn off heat, add the powdered sugar, and whisk until smooth. Place the mixture over a bowl of warm water and dip the doughnuts immediately. Allow glaze to set for 30 minutes before serving.